WDC @ Nrithyagram-15/03/2015

Yesterday morning saw a whole lot of eager fresh-faced jammers on two vans heading for Nrithyagram - something a lot of us had been looking forward to for the past week.  The new and first time jammers outnumbered the old ones.  It was a great turnout, and we were joined by a couple more jammers at the dance school.

After a stop for breakfast, we reached the place after a long drive.  An introduction speech, to the jammers, and we entered Nrithyagram.  Each person walked around to soak in the atmosphere and then found his or her spot, to start their sketch or painting. 

Like the last time, a number or jammers went into the Gurukul to watch the senior dancers being coached by danseuse Surupa Sen.  This time the school was a bit quiet as the exams were starting the next day- no coaching in the dining area, and no afternoon classes for children from the nearby villages.

3275218998?profile=originalAt the breakfast stop.

3275219265?profile=original3275219517?profile=original3275219564?profile=original3275219714?profile=originalEager jammers.

3275219883?profile=original3275220072?profile=original3275220321?profile=original3275220480?profile=originalI do not know how Adithya ended up in most of my photos.

3275220528?profile=originalAddy in his sketch-pen phase

3275220683?profile=original3275220708?profile=original3275220806?profile=original3275220846?profile=original3275220891?profile=originalNirupam sketching

3275221032?profile=original3275221217?profile=original3275221390?profile=originalYoung models

3275221330?profile=originalPied Piper! Dinesh was surrounded by kids the moment he made himself comfortable -so here he is keeping them busy.

3275221615?profile=original3275221695?profile=original3275221925?profile=original3275222124?profile=originalPainting was hard work!

3275222081?profile=originalA guest appearance by Soman.

3275222045?profile=originalMohan with his beautiful watercolor

3275222166?profile=originalAnupama's innovative home-made palette!  And her painting of the guest cottage.

3275222202?profile=original3275222187?profile=originalThere were a whole lot of jammers who were sketching and painting at the amphitheatre, who I did not get to click.  Dhruba and Smitha after their session.

3275222258?profile=originalDisplaying the work at the end of the jam.

3275222224?profile=originalOur hosts keeping a record of our work.

3275222245?profile=originalCLICK - Caught the photographer.

Jigar was clicking tons of photos while we were painting, and we hope to see some of them here, or a link to view them.  Also, Jigar would it be possible to put up the group photo here?

Smitha, I've started this report and hope that the jammers upload their work individually and in this thread too.

Jammers, feel free to use the photos I have uploaded, and do add any photos you have clicked here.

I have not given any intro to Nrithyagram as some of us had been there before on the first jam.  Here is Anil's discussion :-    penciljammers @ Nrithyagram-2014

You need to be a member of penciljammers to add comments!

Join penciljammers

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Satish, I dint see you there! A bunch of us were hidden away in the Amphi theatre.

Great work on the sculpture :)

• Thanks Satish, Great sketches, thanks for uploading.

• Wow Nandita, you've truly captured the essence of the beautiful, peaceful dance village in your clicks!

The trip feels even better now that we're recalling the best moments, minus the summer heat ;)

It was a Jam to remember :D

• Thanks Dinesh, Rahul this time I concentrated on our group as artists, everyone was so into their work, - Gud to see.  Yes, the heat was exhausting, but a lovely place to go to again.  Do upload your work, guys.

• 3275432326?profile=originalHere's my sketch at the Nrithyagram, from yesterday. Thank you pencil jam for organizing a brilliant and memorable trip to this lovely and inspiring place away from the urban chaos. Grateful to everybody at Nrithyagram for allowing us to visit, sketch and let us enjoy every moment of being there. Though it was a sunny and hot day, end of the trip we felt, the time was less and we would have loved to spend couple of more hours there.

Being my first trip there, it was really overwhelming in the beginning to see the beauty of the place all around and the opportunities at hand to catch them in various hues on paper. I took my time to look around and finally decided to sketch the beautiful amphitheater by the very end of the premise. Just before leaving, It was really inspiring to see everybody's beautiful artworks displayed together. End of the day, it was a pleasing trip which will remain in memory for a long time. Looking forward to visit there again soon for some more artistic experiences.

Thanks a lot Nandita for the brilliant clicks and the wonderful report here. Hoping to see everybody's beautiful artworks shared here!

Medium: watercolor on sketchbook
    Size: 7 1/2" H x 11" W
    Time: 100 min.
    Source: Live.

© Dhruba Mazumder, 2015. All rights reserved.

• Great work Dhruba :) Very true it is an inspiring place away from the urban chaos. We must do more trips there.

@ Nandita, yes I have got few photos of Dhruba, Nilesh, Sagar and Jigar working there.. Having some trouble with my photo download hopefully will be sorted tomorrow :D

• Thanks a lot Smitha. I was overwhelmed at the prospects of sketching opportunities. Too sad the visitor time is less. Should go there again :)!

• Welcome Dhruba, tho' I did not get to click you painting.  I hope that Smitha has done that.

A lovely painting of the amphitheatre Dhruba, and the figures painted in give a scale to the subject.

• Thanks a lot Nandita. We were sketching deep inside the premise. The figures make the place lively too :)!

• An awesome trip and lovely memories! Thanks to all the jammers for making it, and to Nandita for the clicks, and of course, to those wonderful folks from Nrityagram who are living out artistic lives of amazing grace and beauty... such an inspiration, always!!! :o)

This reply was deleted.